On Love and Eternity

One of my favorite poets has to be Emily Dickinson. A talented and unique writer, who wasn't afraid to bend the rules of poetry. She was known for "imperfect rhymes" and "rough rhythms". Her thoughts seem so jumbled at times, but they come out so beautifully when you just pause and mull it over awhile.

 Like savoring that first spring stroll outdoors, after being cooped up all winter, the fresh air hits you and hope is renewed. You have been so used to a cold chill in the air, sometimes it takes a moment to sink in, just how great that sun really feels.

Take a break with me here, have a cup of tea (or coffee :) or what have you) and  read a bit of Emily's writings that have spurred me on to appreciate playing with words.


VI  
Part Three: Love
IF you were coming in the fall,
I ’d brush the summer by
With half a smile and half a spurn,
As housewives do a fly.
  
If I could see you in a year,        5
I ’d wind the months in balls,
And put them each in separate drawers,
Until their time befalls.
  
If only centuries delayed,
I ’d count them on my hand,        10
Subtracting till my fingers dropped
Into Van Diemen’s land.
  
If certain, when this life was out,
That yours and mine should be,
I ’d toss it yonder like a rind,        15
And taste eternity.
  
But now, all ignorant of the length
Of time’s uncertain wing,
It goads me, like the goblin bee,
That will not state its sting.        20


Emily Dickinson (1830–86).  Complete Poems.  1924.
VIII               Part Three: Love
THAT I did always love,
I bring thee proof:
That till I loved
I did not love enough.
  
That I shall love alway,        5
I offer thee
That love is life,
And life hath immortality.
  
This, dost thou doubt, sweet?
Then have I        10
Nothing to show
But Calvary.
-Emily Dickinson (1830–86).  Complete Poems.  1924.































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through the fire

Good hope

Peter Pan