Lullabies and Good Cries

Note: if you have lost a baby, I am so very sorry. Please feel free to skip this one.

 Lullaby, and goodnight...Anyone out there actually know the words to this tune? Well, I didn't. So my children got a tune something like this:

"Lullaby, and goodnight, the stars in the night sky.
I don't know, this song, too well..."
Yeah, we shall just not finish that one? 

Thanks to Google - I found real lyrics:
" Lullaby, and good night, in the skies stars are bright.
May the moon's silvery beams bring you sweet dreams.
Close your eyes now and rest, may these hours be blessed.
'Til the sky's bright with dawn, when you wake with a yawn."


There's more, but you get the idea.

Besides, when you have a fussy baby, who has time to remember a whole song?

I made up my own. Easy to recall at a moment's notice and accurate every time!

 My first child didn't need a whole lot of rocking to sleep. He just wanted to hold our hand outside the crib until the sandman showed up. Nathanael was my blankie/rocker/cooing bundle of sweetness. I didn't mind a colicky baby, because I loved to rock him! I was just thankful to be holding him at all. 

In a world without modern medicine, neither one of us would have made it out of the delivery room. The umbilical cord became tangled and prevented his arrival. He was born by caesarean, completely lifeless. And I guess that I was a concern, as well. I don't remember any of this, but I remember feeling confused when seeing so many faces around. His first month was spent in the NICU ward and I will save that story for another day.

But I remember so clearly, that day, when he was almost a month old and I heard his very first cry!

Fast forward to tucking toddlers into their own beds. Every night, we had a ritual. Read stories, say your prayers, and get tucked under the covers. A kiss on the forehead, and as I left the room we would say to each other - 

"Good night! I love you! See you in the morning!"

Every child. Every night. Until they were "too old to be tucked in", then it became a verbal exchange down the hall.

You probably know where this is going, right?

Before I laid my beautiful man son to rest in heavenly peace, and now until the last breath I take I will from that day to eternity - Cry out -

"Good night. I LOVE YOU!!!! See you in THE MORNING!!!"

Stories taken from the journey of my life by: Sue Leerhoff  Brick by Brick
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through the fire

Good hope

Peter Pan