Winter Winds

Winter winds are howling, deep within my soul
Leaves upon the ground
Skit-ter-ing… Oh, so cold
 





...Little tykes rejoicing
Pumpkins all around
Mama's feet are aching
Costumes to be found...

Winter winds are howling
Deep within my soul
Memories are fluttering
Skit-ter-ing oh so cold








Winter winds are howling
Shadows growing thin
Holidays are looming
Must we do this again









Leaves raked up in piles
Bonfires to be lit
Done without the smiles
Someone dearly missed

 




...Autumn breezes blowing
Painting all the while ...
When colors left me breathless 
And hayrides gave the giggles 
The crowds were left with smiles...
But winter winds are howling
Everywhere I go
Nothing is the same
The colors dull as coal
Winter winds are howling 
Deep within my soul







Will it ever be the same
You ask?

The darkened shadows sigh

The cold and steely sky
Whispers lightly in my ear -

Do you see that faint, mere flicker
Right where the horizon lies?
Keep your eyes on the smallest glimmer
For that is Hope, my dear











It’s been awhile now 
Too long, for some, they think

But this is not their path
This is not their cup to drink






When winter winds come howling
I feel it in my soul
 






The gift I carry daily
Is mine alone to bear
I hear the crowds a whisper
Come now, have a chair
If only they could feel it
Perhaps they wouldn’t stare






But my grief is just a different
Shape of love you see
The days we spent as family
Are kept inside of me

I keep him close within my heart
I feel it in my soul
When winter winds come howling
Holding on to Hope is my only goal

So we prepare the land for snow
The flowers almost done
We eat the last fresh vegetables
The apples almost gone

We live a little differently
Now that our son is gone
The visits now with family
We treasure every one






The winter wind is howling 
It’s almost on its way

But inside my heart I’m smiling


The wait is one less day


When Winter Winds Come Howling


I Know Who Holds My Soul

 


In Loving memory of our son, Nathanael
It has been three long years without you
We all miss you so
October 2018


Stories from the journey of grief
Written by: Sue Leerhoff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through the fire

Good hope

Peter Pan