Was Jesus Asleep?

You may have heard the story of Jesus in the boat during a great windstorm.

It was recorded by three of his disciples who were there when it happened.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke tell the story just a bit differently, just like any three versions would.

Some people are more descriptive than others, some might not notice the details, and others may catch every single word spoken.

I am going to tell you the story as if I had been one of them that day....

 It had been a long, hot, and unusually wet, summer here in our little lake town of Tiberias.

I am, Joseph bar Simon, one of the young apprentices by the dock, whose job today was to guide the smaller passenger boats across to safety. I was very excited, for so many reasons -

It was my first solo trip, without my master Yacov.

This boat was to be my responsibility, my training ground for the sailboat I longed to own some day.

I was actually a bit nervous carrying these passengers, all the stories I have heard about them.

I first saw this prophet and his followers once on the hillside. 
I was enjoying my day off, exploring the caves, when I peeked over the edge and saw the crowds swooping in like seagulls.
So I stuck around to see what it was all about, and sat down just like everyone else.
I was high on the crags above the lake, where it was difficult to hear everything he said. 

But when he spoke, the crowd was mesmerized. 
They stayed for hours, listening to story after story. 
His voice carried such regal tones. 
When the wind blew my way, 
I felt as if there were trumpets heralding his every move. 

He didn't seem to mind the crowds pawing at his feet, calling out his name, or crying loudly for mercy.
He didn't even flinch as the little children sang and danced around, while they made wreaths of flowers, and climbed into his lap to adorn his head with their creations. 

All the while, he was speaking - somehow - 
he gave each one his undivided attention,
if but for a brief moment,
then returned to his story with more compassion than ever.

I don't understand how he could keep his composure, and remember what he was saying with all the activity going on around him. 
I have four sisters, and I can't stand listening to their chatter while Avi is reading to us.
But from what I saw that day, I just knew he was more than a great storyteller.

I had heard of this Master Yeshua many times, how he could make the blind see and restore a lame man's shriveled hand from leprosy.

We had been there all morning, and now it was growing late, 
the sun was singing it's lullabye in full colors.

I was famished.
I didn't plan on being gone all day.
I should have been home to eat with the family, 
but I just couldn't leave.

I can't explain how it happened, and from where I sat, it looked like no one else could believe it either.

One minute the crowd was restless, as if they would leave.
Next thing I remember was, everyone sitting in groups, eating the most delicious fresh fish and fluffy bread I have ever tasted!

They say it was a miracle.
They say only one little boy had thought to give Yeshua any food.
They say when he gave thanks, 
the bread and fish just started showing up in baskets 
around every single person.
All I know is, I was stuffed.
But it got me thinking.

The pieces started coming together, on a day when I was mending the nets, 
and I was called to bring in extra fish for the mourners.
I never liked that job. 
Whenever someone passed on, we supplied the food for those who came to pay their respects.
It was noisy, confusing, and to me, disturbing.
Why couldn't the family grieve in the quietness of the tombs?
I didn't understand why they needed so many people milling about at all hours of the day.

Until it was my cousin.

Yacov had not taken the time to tell me who it was, he only gave me directions to the house.
As soon as I had gathered my supplies, I realized where I must go.

..."Oy vey! Not Tante?!"...
I worried she had fallen ill again.
I was so wrong.
It was my dear cousin, daughter of Jairus.
I could barely see through the tears as I carried the bundle of fish to the kitchen.
The cook was in hysterics. 
Oh, how she too, had grown to love that sweet girl.

I was lost in my own turmoil.
..."Who would play the flute while I marched to her tune with my drum?
...Who would give me the first fresh milk of the morning, from her goat, Abi?
...Who would explain to me the ways of women, when I needed her advice?
...How could I go on living without her?"... 

She was really gone.

Then, much like that day on the hillside, when everyone suddenly had a basketful of bread, it wasn't my imagination.
I can't explain how, but something happened.

There was a long pause in the mourning wails.
The room was buzzing with voices and I couldn't tell if they were laughing or crying.
I heard Tante's voice, repeatedly -
"My daughter, Oh, my precious daughter!" 

The next voice I heard, was unmistakable.
"Ma-me? What's going on? Why am I in bed?

Before my tante had a chance to answer her, she burst into laughter.
"Yeshua! Oh, you've come! Oh, thank you, Master!"
She tried to jump out of bed as she threw her covers aside. 
But Yeshua picked her up instead, and gave her the biggest bear hug in return for hers.

Everyone had tears of joy melting into laughter.

Through the crack in the door, I watched as Yeshua gently shooed the mourners out the door.
He gave the family a round of hugs,
Then he strode right into the kitchen, to make sure the cook was fixing a large serving of the fish for my cousin to eat.

He was bigger than life!
He seemed to look into my soul and smiled at me.
I was warm all the way down to my toes.

"This man, Yeshua, just brought a twelve year old girl back to life!"
I was so happy, I danced all the way back to the docks to close up shop, before running home to tell my sisters what I just saw!

I'm sorry for the long introduction, but you see, it is all so very important to my story.

I am  Joseph bar Simon, apprentice to master Yacov, sailor and fisherman of the sea.
But I have told you this already, have I not?
My Mame says I will be a great storyteller some day, just like my Avi used to entertain us with tales from the deep, and dance for hours with his family.
I miss my Avi so very much.
I know we all do.
That is why I enjoy the stories of Yeshua.
He makes me feel like Abba is still near.

So when I heard master Yeshua was in our area, I insisted Yacov let me take out the extra boat we use for ferrying travelers across the lake.
As the apprentice, it was a much easier task than manning the large fishing boat we used the other days of the week.
He agreed I was ready for the task.

The day started out sunny and cheerful.
As captain-in-charge I was hoping it would stay that way, yet wondering if I was wrong in reading the signs of the sky.

The men who were with Yeshua were all happy to spend time with their friend and Master, finally alone from the crowds earlier in the day.
They had been traveling on foot for quite some time, and were soaking up the peace and quiet of the sea, and lightheartedly joking between themselves.

They didn't even notice when Yeshua noiselessly slipped his shawl over his head, lay down on the floor and fell fast asleep.

I saw him make his move to the floorboards, and he winked at me, shushing me, as a cue to not let on that I saw him take leave.

The disciples soon got carried away with their banter, and bragged who could best sail a ship like mine without a guide on board. (meaning me)
They were waxing eloquent on how far this vessel could go on the open seas, if only someone qualified were at the helm.
Some of the men were starting to get annoyed at the louder ones, so at first, no one but me saw it coming. 



Out of nowhere, clouds covered the sky, swirling round and round above us.
The wind rose fiercely. 
The gentle sloshing of waves quickly became high, crashing shards of ice it seemed.

It finally had everyone's full attention.
The friendly fire was over.
The entire group was in panic mode.
In all their brave swagger, they couldn't even figure out how to stand upright.
I told them to sit down, so I could wrestle this rig easier without arms and legs poking about  every which way.

Some were worried we would drown.
Others didn't think it would be so bad if we just kept scooping the water out of the boat.
But the storm just kept growing more and more frightening.
I was even getting scared, and I was practically born at sea.
Then I realized something - Jesus was asleep in this mess!!

"How could he be sleeping at a time like this?"

The disciples scurried about, still trying to figure out what to do, 
knowing we were about to capsize any moment.
They were furiously waving their arms and screaming - "Help! Help!"

One of them tripped over Yeshua's feet and straightaway began to shake his shoulders to awaken the Master.
When it finally dawned on the others that he was still sleeping, they began to cry out louder,
- "Have mercy on us, Oh Lord! We perish!"

- "How can he be sleeping at a time like this?"

- "Heaven help us, I can't swim!"

I can't find the words to explain what happened next.
It was like nothing any one of us had seen before.

Yeshua stood up calmly, arms outstretched tall and strong, in the face of the winds,
he spoke... To the sea...

- "Peace! Be still!"



He wasn't trembling like the rest of us.
He wasn't confused when we woke him, he knew exactly what to do.
He even asked us, why we were so worried.

The storm was over, even quicker than it came upon us.

It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, while on duty at sea.

The waves instantly returned to the gentle sloshing against the bottom of the boat.

The sun lit the entire sky as if it had been there all along, smiling down on us.
The rain that had threatened to wash us overboard, 
was now a rainbow sparkle across the horizon. 
Our garments once drenched and splattered with seaweed,
in the blink of an eye, became fresh, clean and dry.

We all stared in amazement.


Yeshua asked how small our faith was.


We sputtered and asked among ourselves,

 - "Who has the power to calm a storm, and us as well?" 

- "As soon as he woke up, I could feel peace in his eyes."

- "I know who I am taking with us, the next time we sail again!"

- "If he can keep us in a storm like that, I want to go everywhere he goes from now on!" 

- "Why, Yeshua wasn't scared at all! He had complete control the entire time!"


That is my story of how I came to follow the Master Yeshua.

When he showed his power in so many ways, I came to believe he really can make a difference in our lives.
I know he said he loves us, and is teaching us to trust his words. I am beginning to think he really is the Messiah!
                                                              
-from the scrolls of Joseph bar Simon, follower of Yeshua

(an adaptation of the gospels' recording the miracles of Jesus)

Matt. 8:23-27   Mark 4:35-41   Luke 8:22-25



 When it seems like Jesus is still asleep in the midst of your storms -
Never fear, He has you in His care.
He will give you peace, when you call on His name and trust His promises.
The heavenly Father loves you so much, he sent His son to this earth to become God in the flesh.
He lived, and died a death He didn't deserve, to pay a debt He did not owe;
because we have a debt we can not pay, and are given eternal life as a free gift.




We will see our loved ones again.
Hold on, Pain will end, Peace will win.

We can shine in a darkened world.
We can even sleep sometimes.

From the collection of stories
on the journey of life
written by: Sue Leerhoff
Brick by Brick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through the fire

Good hope

Peter Pan