Better Than Grandma

There's nothing like the love of a Grandma.

The joy they bring to a little child's heart in everything they do.

There's nothing like the joy on her face watching everyone open their gifts at Christmas!

This is my mother-in-law Joyce. The last Christmas we had together was fifteen years ago.

I think of her often. How she loved every single one of her many grandchildren. How I miss her. How we are so different because of the joy she left in our hearts.

In this picture, she is comforting my daughter, while Nathanael is hamming it up for the camera as usual! I am recovering from surgery, after losing our second baby.

She would do anything for the grandkids, and for her entire family.

They often babysat for us, whenever we needed them. It didn't matter that they lived on the other side of the state. It didn't matter if they were in the middle of harvest, or the middle of a snowstorm, they would get there as soon as possible. That's what Grandmas (and Grandpas) are good at.

Every time I visit Nathanael's memorial I cry tears of sorrow and tears of joy, as I wash both stones sitting right beside each other - Nathanael and Joyce. And I whisper a prayer that I hope God can send a telegram to all five of them, my three children and my sweet mother-in-law, and let them know just how much I love them and can't wait to see them again.

I don't really know how it works on their end - but I know God sends me telegrams quite often!

Just about every time I am feeling low, and can't seem to find anything new that is good, God knows just what I need to put a smile (even if it isn't the same one I used to wear) back on my face, renew the trust within my heart, and relight the hope that dwindles from time to time.  

All I need to do is look. 

This week has been rough for me - too close to Mother's day, the anniversary of my son's promise ring day, his birthday, and the fact that the plans have flooded out again for a trail ride on Nathanael's favorite bike trail. Among other things.

So I did some reconnaissance. Remember, this is a battle we fight daily.






I went to the place we loved to spend time as a family. Just to see if the water had gone down. It was still high, but peaceful.






 Can you see the snake swimming away? Nathanael could have caught it.


 






On my hike, I found all the spring flowers in bloom. I watched a pair of heron in the water, but they flew out of focus too fast. A happy fish showed off his flying skills for me. So much wildlife in one short visit, in the middle of the day!

 I was hunting for frogs, where Nathanael used to find them at night, and I found two. One was even kind enough to let me take a few photos. He didn't give me the courtesy of letting me catch him, but I enjoyed the chase anyway.

Thank you for opening my telegrams from heaven! 

Whenever I need a smile - frogs, toads, and snakes come by for a visit. 

I am glad God made grandmas, because He knows just what we need and is more than happy to oblige. Even better than Grandma!

 written by: Sue Leerhoff 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through the fire

Good hope

Peter Pan