Enough

When I used to serve up a dish to my small children, I would try to guess how much to scoop out for each one, by how much I knew they could eat. 

If the little ones saw big brother getting more than she/he, invariably the cry became - "He got more than me, Mommy!"

- "Yes, dear, but you already have enough. Clean up your plate, then, if you're still hungry, you can have some more." 

 Or on one of those days that every mother dreads... when the kids just can't seem to be nice to each other and tempers flare and Legos fly... you must resist the temptation to scream as loud as they are, and still get across your point. 

We count to three (for my own sake) and loudly proclaim (remember, it's already noisy in there)  
- "Enough! Leave little brother alone!"  

I will exit right here, so you don't have to hear the rousing retorts - "But Moooom, he won't share his toys!"...... 

Just close the door gently and take a deep breath....
They're just kids. 

That's why we parents are here to teach them how to get along. 

They don't know when enough is enough.   

I am glad my heavenly Father knows me better than I know myself.  

He knows how it hurts to be where I am. 
He knows when everything gets to be too much. 
He sees the pain, the anger, the frustration, the sorrow, the torment and confusion. 
He hears my questions and feels the emptiness. 

 His Son died on a cross, and cried "It Is Finished!" 

And that is why He is enough. 

When Jesus died for me, it was enough. 
When pain strikes, I must trust He's got my back, hands, and knees, and shoulders, too. 

When sadness overwhelms, I must look to His hope of a better future as enough. 

Even when I think I should have had more time with my son, I must daily (minute-ly..second-ly...)  trust He knows what I need most. Because He is my enough. 

"When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."  - Psalm 61:2
 Even when it hurts. Especially when it hurts.

 Sue Leerhoff  Brick by Brick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through the fire

Good hope

Peter Pan